Note: Please advise us of any discrepancies or changes you might find in the information supplied below –
Check first if still open and available during COVID-19 restrictions!
- Buffalo Grove Village Hall – 50 Raupp Blvd., Buffalo Grove – Sharps Disposal, Prescription Drugs and Over-The-Counter Drugs (also at Police Dept., 46 Raupp Blvd.), and Compacts Florescent Lamp (CFLs) bulbs and straight florescent tubes up to 4 feet.
- SWALCO for Lake County recycling locations and items including Clothing & Textiles (see location below), Electronics, Household Chemical Waste, Pharmaceutical, Reuse-A-Shoe, Holiday Lights, etc.
- Lake County Scrap Metal (Prairie View) – recycle for cash copper, copper wire and cable, aluminum, aluminum cans, aluminum siding, metals, computers, stainless steel, appliances, paper, cardboard, newspaper and plastic.
- Mount Prospect – accepts electronics and some appliances (pdf) – Weds. 10am – 12pm through the last Wednesday in October at 1700 W. Central Rd. – SWANNC Member Communities
- Highland Park Recycling Center, 1180 Half Day Road, year-round to Lake County residents. Tues. and 1st Sat. monthly, 7:00 AM to 1:00 PM – clothing and textiles, electronics, foam #6, fluorescent light bulbs (unbroken), rechargeable batteries, shoes and holiday lights
- Buffalo Grove annual farmers’ market (details as announced) one day only – small appliances, bicycles, computers and more.
- Donate your books and textbooks to Better World Books. They either sell, donate or recycle. Drop boxes locate at Vernon Area Public Library District also in Kildeer, Rolling Meadows, Evanston, Franklin Park and Chicago (several).
- Avenues to Independence 847.541.5250, ext. 2115, accepts a wide range of electronics including: cell phones, laptops, printers, inkjet cartridges, ink toners (large), MP3 players, digital cameras, GPS devices, graphic calculators, radar detectors, Apple products, small electronic handheld devices or game consoles, flat screen computer monitors (LCD), rechargeable batteries, house phones, computer chips and hard drives. You can drop off smaller items at the Buffalo Grove Village Hall, 50 Raupp Blvd. They accept large items at the Wheeling location Recycling Avenue, 444 Mercantile Court. Other locations including Arlington Heights, Wheeling, Rolling Meadows, etc.
- Recycle your mascara brushes to remove fly eggs and larva from the fur of wild animals. Details at https://www.wandsforwildlife.org/
- Recycle gently used clothing and textiles in addition to torn or worn materials. SWALCO recycle collection box located southeast corner of the parking lot at Emmerich Park (Raupp Blvd. & Lake Cook Road). More details on BG Environmental Action Team web page at bgeat.org
- ABT recycling program, 1200 N. Milwaukee, Glenview, IL 6002, 847.954.4100. Recycling drop-offs can be made during regular store hours at the merchandise pick-up entrance. TV’s (fees), small appliances, electronic devices, wood pallets, cardboard & paper, plastic (industrial wrap only) and Styrofoam (white only, no food containers). They do not accept glass, light bulbs including Christmas lights, broken tube TVs, printer cartridges, household batteries (AAA, AA, C, etc), cds/dvd/vhs tapes, white styrofoam peanuts, water or air filters.
- Batteries Plus Bulbs – batteries, lighting and small appliances – fees may be applicable. Locations in Northbrook, Vernon Hills, Schaumburg, Lake Zurich and more.
- Paper grocery bags and large plastic grocery bags – Vernon Township Food Pantry, 3050 N Main Street, Buffalo Grove, IL 60089, 847-634-4600.
- CD Recycling (Closed during COVID)
- Elgin Recycling (Arlington Heights)Scrap Metals (Copper, Brass, Aluminum, Lead, Zinc, Silver, Molybdenum), Electronics (too long to list but includes batteries, Paper (including soft & hard covered books) and Plastics (Polyethylene-HDPE, LDPE, Polypropylene, Styrene, Shrink/Stretch Film, Bubble Wrap, PVC, Vinyl Siding, ABS, Super Sac)
- EZ Electronics Recycling, 1387 Barclay Blvd., Buffalo Grove | Accepted Electronic Equipment (Some Free, Most Have Fees) | Fee for at home pickup, some free local drop off events, infrequent free home pickup through Rotary
- SWANCC (Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County) – Calendar of Recycling Events
- Earth 911 – Search for a recycling solution near your zip code.
- Eco-Cycle – Recycling (search) Guide
- Recycle Nation – Find a recycling location
- SWANCC (Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County) – Green Pages: Reuse and Recycling Directory | “…a resource for residents seeking outlets for items no longer needed.”
At Your Door Special Collection®
Buffalo Grove (and many other suburbs): Waste Management’s service will collect many types of unwanted potentially hazardous and hard-to-recycle items from your home. Contact for appointment http://www.wmatyourdoor.com/residential/ – 800.449.7587.
Greendisk – Fee-based (by weight) disposal of computer-related waste, spent supplies and obsolete accessories including CDs, diskettes, DVDs, ink cartridges, cell phones, videotapes, pagers, PDAs, and all of your small technotrash. Must box and ship to them.
We are trying to share information with you and can not vouch for authenticity. Caveat emptor is Latin for “Let the buyer beware”.